When you’re trying to dream up new ideas for gift baskets or candy packaging, sometimes channeling your inner kid is the key!
These cute creatures are simply made from boxes with ribbon, paper and marker embellishments. Try them all as party favor packaging or make the Get Whale Soon gift basket (shown). And please visit Le Petit Pot, an Etsy shop that sparked my imagination!
To make the Get Whale Soon gift basket I used a large white basket box, Economy Jewelry Boxes in sizes 15 and 6, and a ring box, although any white boxes will work. To make aqua whales, wrap basket boxes in Aqua Gloss Gift Wrap and proceed with these simple steps:
- Stash a gift in the box you plan to “whale” on.
- Draw a simple smile line and eye dot on the top of the box as shown.
- Cut an appropriate sized back-fin from this printable.
- On the dotted line, score the fin and gently fold it (optional).
- Flip the fin over and tape it to the side of the box as shown.
*The printable is optional. Cut the back-fin freehand if you like.
The spouts can be made from curling ribbon or curly bows. I made the little spouts from 4 feet of hi-gloss curling ribbon. If you make the larger whale’s spouts from curling ribbon, just use larger loops and more of them.
Curling Ribbon Spouts
- Wrap the ribbon loosely around the palm of your hand.
- Pinch one end of the loops together neatly, staple and tape tightly.
- Trim to an angle or point.
- Cut through the remaining loops and curl the ends of ribbon.
- Make a slit in the top of the whale as shown and slip the pointed end of your curly spout in the slot. Slide it in just enough that it stands up straight.
Curly Bow Spouts
The new hi-gloss curly bows have a generous hang tag (see below) that’s a real aid in this.
- Fold the tag in thirds lengthwise (bow on right) tape it neatly.
- Make a small slit in the top of the whale’s head.
- Slide the taped end into the slit just enough so that it stands up straight.
The dangerous predators below were made with recycled polka-dot and recycled kraft jewelry boxes.
A few more animals emerged from various boxes, as you can see below. There was even a big cat made from leopard print boxes, but BEWARE, she escaped!